This page explains how to use mods on Android. Modding on Android is trickier than PC; you can't use SMAPI mods yet and they're more complex to install.
For help with mods on Linux/Mac/Windows, see the player's guide to mods.
Obtain the APK
The game is stored on your phone in an Android Package file with an .apk extension. Downloading the APK from third-party websites isn't recommended, since it'll often be outdated or contain malware.
There are two ways to access the APK file:
- If you have root access, it's located at /data/app/com.chucklefish.stardewvalley-1/base.apk.
- Otherwise install APK Extractor and run it. The APK will be extracted to ExtractedApks/Stardew Valley_com.chucklefish.stardewvalley.apk on your device.
SMAPI / Content Patcher mods
These are available using unofficial experimental versions of SMAPI. See SMAPI on other platforms for more info.
Option A: MT Manager app on your phone
- Copy the XNB files you want to install into a new folder on your device.
- Install and open MT Manager on your phone.
- On the left side of the screen:
- Find the Stardew Valley APK.
- Tap it.
- Select 'view'. This should open a folder containing the game's asset files.
- On the right side of the screen:
- Find the folder containing XNB mods (from step 1).
- Make sure the corresponding folder is open on the left side of the screen (e.g. the Portraits folder if you're installing portrait mods).
- Select the files to copy. (To select all, tap the ⋮ menu and choose 'select all'.)
- Long tap the selected files, and choose the copy option.
- A menu should appear. Change the 'level' option to Storage, and the 'update mode' to Replace All. Tap OK to copy the files.
- On the left side of the screen:
- Return to the folder containing the .apk file.
- Tap on the Stardew Valley APK file, choose 'Function', then 'APK Sign'.
- Tap the new APK file that generates and choose 'Install'.
Option B: Android Studio on your computer
- Install an unzip program like 7-zip.
- Install JDK 8.
- Install Android Studio (make sure to install build-tools).
- Install APK Signer Tool (v2).
- Unzip the Stardew Valley APK to your computer.
- Replace the vanilla XNBs (found in ./assets/Content/) with the modded XNBs.
- Re-zip the contents of the Stardew Valley APK. Make sure not to include the container folder.
- Change the file extension from .zip to .apk.
- Open APK Signer Tool (v2).
- Fill out all fields on the Keyfile Generator page (doesn't matter what you enter).
- On the Align & Sign tab, select the modded APK file.
- Select key and fill out the appropriate fields.
- Click Align and Sign.
- Wait a few moments.
- Move the APK to the device and install.
- Download unxwb and XWBTool.
- Unzip both to your working directory.
- Copy the .obb file from your phone's internal storage (located at Internal Storage/Android/obb/main.2.com.chucklefish.stardewvalley.obb) to your working directory.
- Run this command to unpack the file:
unxwb main.2.com.chucklefish.stardewvalley.obbThat should output 87 files with names like 00000000.wav.
- Move the unpacked .wav files to a separate folder to keep things organised.
- Replace any of the audio files as desired (but the names must remain the same).
- Run this command to repack the file (replacing folderPath with the full path to the folder containing the .wav files):
XWBTool "folderPath/*.wav" -o Music.xwbNote that the output file must be called Music.xwb when repacking.
- Rename Music.xwb to main.2.com.chucklefish.stardewvalley.obb.
- Move the modified .obb file back to your phone's internal storage (at Internal Storage/Android/obb/main.2.com.chucklefish.stardewvalley.obb).
- Enjoy your modified music!