Talk:Console Version History
|This talk page is for discussing Console Version History.|
Avoid duplicating PC release notes?
Currently we duplicate the release notes to each console. That has a few issues:
- the page is getting pretty big (Stardew Valley 1.4 by itself added 155K);
- it's hard to translate and keep translations consistent (e.g. PS4 players don't benefit from translated PC release notes);
- it's hard to track which changes are unique to a console (since they're mixed in with the content updates);
- it's hard to maintain since every change needs to be done six times (one on Version History, three on Console Version History, and two on Mobile Version History) multiplied by the number of language wikis;
- we need to messily combine release notes when multiple PC versions were ported in one update (e.g. the 1.4 release notes on this page are incorrect; consoles were ported to PC 1.4.2, not 1.4.0).
Any objections to referencing the original release notes instead, for content ported from PC? For example, 1.4 on PS4 has no known changes beyond the ported content:
Stardew Valley 1.4 on PS4 was released on 16 December 2019.
That also makes it much easier to distinguish which changes are specific to a console:
Stardew Valley 1.12 on Xbox One was released on 14 December 2016.
- Ported Stardew Valley 1.11 from PC.
- Adjusted cursor speed/tracking when moving over something clickable.
- Console-specific controller UI integration (controller maps, controller button hints, and button scheming).
- Console-specific optimizations.
- I have no objections to this for 1.4. I think it's a good idea (especially since there are "no official release notes" for consoles). I also think it's a good idea going forward.
- I don't think it's a good idea to go back and change anything before 1.3, though, because it's already been translated in Japanese. (Clicking through the other languages, I think the rest are still at v1.2). So, yes to v1.4 and anything after v1.31 (if you want to go back that far).
- Also, I wouldn't mind if you made this change sooner rather than later, before the full PC release notes get copied to another language and someone starts translating them! margotbean (talk) 16:31, 18 December 2019 (UTC)
- I suggest also doing it retroactively, so translators on wikis where they haven't translated yet don't spend time on redundant translations. What do you think of...
- —Pathoschild (talk) 21:57, 18 December 2019 (UTC)
- I prefer Option A... that's just a lot of work I don't have near enough time to do! If you want to do a text compare and make those kinds of changes, I think that would be the best option. I don't like Option B because it introduces inconsistency between the wikis. We'd be preserving translations, but they ought to be the same as the translations on the regular Version History page, and should be moved to the regular Version History page instead of preserved on the Console Version History page. If that makes sense. (It's been a long day). margotbean (talk) 23:37, 18 December 2019 (UTC)