|This is Alcha's talk page, where you can send messages and comments to Alcha.|
Heyo, I'm Alcha.
Aside from that, I'm an avid gamer who's recently fallen in love with Stardew Valley and found myself interested in contributing to this wiki since it's helped me tremendously.
If you ever have questions regarding software development such as wanting to get into the field, if you're looking for help on a project, whatever, feel free to contact me:
Twitter - Rarely used, but I do get notifications if people @ me.
Hello Alcha! I'm sorry, I've had to delete your avatar image. It's absolutely nothing personal, it's just not a Stardew Valley image. I'm not sure we have the space to hold user images for all the thousands of users, so this is a rule that applies to all, not just you.
So, I'm sorry for the trouble, but I want to extend to you a warm welcome to the wiki! I like what you've done with the new Graveyard page!
Also, I've reverted the change to Abigail's page that deleted all the schedule location maps. Not sure if it was intentional, or you had a reason, but the comment to the edit seems to indicate that it was an accident.
The change to Abigail's page that deleted all of the schedule location maps was indeed a mistake, I must have shift clicked incorrectly lol. I was actually just looking at my recent changes to make sure I hadn't done anything like that and saw your message.
And no hard feelings on the avatar, I completely understand! I'll just update it to use an external link ^_^
Contact Administrators/Discord Bot
Hi Alcha! The Admin is Katzeus, and you can leave a message on his talk page. There's also a link to the Admin noticeboard in the sidebar (top left of the page) if you prefer. Don't forget to type four tildes at the end of your message so he knows who wrote it! :) margotbean (talk) 17:20, 19 December 2017 (UTC)
Sorry to not have followed up with you on this for a couple weeks. There's a fan-made bot running inside the Starbound discord which is linked to that game's wiki, you could take a look at that git project if you want an example bot which links to a wiki. I think that setup is just replacing the URL string for a search with a variable when someone enters $$wiki variable into a channel (setup here I think). The bot then publishes the search string + variable which is a working URL link (but it doesn't actually pull back data, just generates the link)
My only technical concern would be if the bot was doing a bunch of indexing or there were enough calls happening enough to degrade site/server performance. Anything manually done through a discord request should be fine though, I don't think the volume of queries could be that high if it's restricted to that. There's more documentation about the mediawiki API setup here - the site has a standard config. - Katzeus (talk) 12:33, 19 January 2018 (UTC)
- No problem with the delay, I figured it would take a while for you to get back to me specifically due to when I originally asked this (around Christmas/New year). If anything I apologize for posting about it a number of places, I felt I was getting a bit annoying when I made the admin noticeboard post. 😅
- That aside, the link to mediawiki/api.php was all I really needed but the rest makes my life so much easier that I can't thank you enough for that lol. Especially the Starbound bot, I'll be cloning that repo immediately and digging into the code.
- As for a bunch of indexing or anything like that, I didn't intend on doing any requests unless a user requested it on a Discord server. And since I can't imagine the bot going beyond a few servers (maybe 10?) with a few users, I don't expect it to be too many requests. However, I can keep track of how many requests I make and ensure I'm not overloading the servers.
- Alcha (talk) 20:45, 19 January 2018 (UTC)
- I had missed this discussion earlier. I also have a Discord Bot, Gunther#6364, who is in the Stardew Valley Wiki Discord server. It has a few commands to pull information from the wiki and create links. I have a lot of revision planned and am very familiar with the MW:API. If you'd like to collaborate on the project I'd be happy to work with you on it. My bots are all currently written in node.js (11.3 as of now) and running the discord.js-commando library. Technical 13 (talk) 13:48, 23 March 2018 (UTC)
- Hey Technical 13, I'd love that! I've been working so far on mine in my spare time but haven't really gotten anywhere concrete. Do you have the bot hosted on GitHub by chance? If not, how would you like to proceed?
- Alcha (talk) 14:31, 29 March 2018 (BST)