User talk:Awiseoldman

From Stardew Valley Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
This is Awiseoldman's talk page, where you can send messages and comments to Awiseoldman.
  • Sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (~~~~).
  • Put new text below old text.
  • Be polite.
  • Assume good faith.
  • Don't delete discussions.

Crop Quality

Hello Awiseoldman! I'll make my best effort to answer all your queries about crop quality tables here.

I never verified the source calculations, and Zaz hasn't checked in for a while. So, your values may be more valid than his/hers. I can't tell.

The source on github that Zaz linked to (on one of the pages) is defunct. Zaz and I had a convo. about the source calculations in which I said I remember specifically not deleting calculations (I wouldn't do that), but I did move something from a main page to a talk page, due to length and complexity. I can't remember which those were, and I didn't do an exhaustive search of page histories to find them. Which leads, again, to the conclusion that your calculations may be more valid than Zaz's.

It does seem suspect that you calculate the chance for normal crops as 0 with fertilizer at farming levels 5-10. This is not my in-game experience, so perhaps there is an absolute value being taken somewhere. Let's figure that out before we change the tables, all right? margotbean (talk) 18:26, 19 May 2018 (BST)

It seems I forgot to account for the cumulative nature of the percentages. E.g. at farming level 10 with Quality Fertilizer there's a 61% chance of getting a gold quality crop. Therefore there's a 39% chance of getting any other quality crop. So then the 75% chance for getting a silver quality crop I'd calculated earlier should be multiplied by that 39%, giving an actual result of 29%. Then the chance for a regular quality crop is 61% - 29% = 10%. Haha, noob error on my part, sorry!
I did notice a few rounding errors on Fertilizer#Crop Quality Ratios though, where the sum of all the percentages doesn't add up to 100%. Normal soil, farming level 2 totals 101%. Normal soil, farming level 7 totals 101%. This is odd because the data for basic and quality fertilizer clearly has been parsed in such a way that percentage rounding errors are avoided. However, I have fixed those now.
Awiseoldman (talk) 23:18, 19 May 2018 (BST)
Well, I'm glad you figured it out! Anytime learning has occurred, it's a good thing.  :)
I read your comment about how you perhaps wanted to delete the entire section from the fertilizer talk page, but didn't want to violate the rules. Well, if you wish to do so, that will be ok, no problem. But, before you do, consider that it may help someone in the future avoid making the exact same mistake. 99% of readers will never see it, but that one person who replicates your code (including any errors) will be helped by it. I'll leave it to you. margotbean (talk) 17:48, 20 May 2018 (BST)
Thanks User:Margotbean. I've decided to leave it up there in case its of use to anyone else with a similar issue. I've placed the data in a collapsible element on Talk:Fertilizer so it's still there for those who are interested, but not taking up lots of space unnecessarily. Awiseoldman (talk) 12:42, 21 May 2018 (BST)