Progress in game can only be saved by going to bed, All progress during a day is lost if the player quits the game and does not go to bed to end a Day Cycle.
Saved Game Files
Saved game files, stored as XML, are located in the AppData\Roaming folder on Windows. To find the saved games folder:
- Open the start menu and type "%APPDATA%" without quotes into the search bar and press enter.
- Locate the folder "StardewValley".
- Within "StardewValley" is a folder "Saves" that contains all saved game files. Each character has their own subfolder in "Saves".
Make sure that your computer is showing hidden files.
- Copy and paste this path: %AppData%\StardewValley\Saves\
Saved games will transfer between different copies of the game (i.e. from a DRM-Free copy to a Steam copy or between two different users).
- After 1.07 update, when you save games, a copy of your save will be created in the same documents named as"***.old".
On linux, the saved games are in ~/.config/StardewValley/Saves/
- Copy this path: /Users/yourusername/.config/StardewValley/Saves
- Then, using Finder>Go>Go to Folder, paste the path when prompted.