Did something go wrong with your game? This is the page for you. (This page isn't only for players who use mods!)
- 1 Common fixes
- 2 Fix common problems
- 2.1 Save disappeared or doesn't load
- 2.2 Nothing happens when you launch the game
- 2.3 Game freezes or crashes while opening
- 2.4 SMAPI files disappear or your antivirus complains
- 2.5 Controller doesn't work properly with SMAPI (Steam only)
- 2.6 Game resolution changes when launched with SMAPI (Windows only)
- 3 Fix specific errors
- 4 Fix other problems
- 5 Ask for help
- Try restarting your computer.
- Make sure you have Stardew Valley 1.3.36 or later.
Click the "?" button on the title screen, and the version will appear in the bottom-left.
- If you use SMAPI, make sure you have the latest version of that.
The SMAPI version is shown at the top of the SMAPI console window.
Reset your content files
Many problems are caused by broken game files (especially if you use XNB mods). You can reset your game files to fix that. SMAPI mods won't be affected.
- See instructions for Steam or for GOG Galaxy.
- If you use SMAPI on Linux/Mac, reinstall SMAPI to fix the launcher.
| If you don't want to reset all files, you have some other options.
Fix common problems
Save disappeared or doesn't load
Nothing happens when you launch the game
The game doesn't open when you try to launch it. (If you use Steam, it might show 'running' for a few seconds.) Here are some common fixes:
- Restart your computer.
- Make sure you have speakers or headphones plugged in. (They can be muted, but the game needs a working audio device.)
- If you play on Windows:
- If you play on Linux:
- Your default terminal might not be compatible. Try installing the xterm terminal.
- If that doesn't fix it:
Game freezes or crashes while opening
The game tries to open, but crashes before the title screen. Here are some common fixes:
- Try everything in the list above first.
- Delete your
startup_preferences, found in
- Disable antivirus if using SMAPI.
- Disable any programs that intercept the game (like MSI AfterBurner or RivaTuner).
- If that doesn't fix it, follow the steps to ask for help.
SMAPI files disappear or your antivirus complains
Your antivirus might remove or complain about some SMAPI files. This is based on heuristic detection (for example, SMAPI rewrites mods so they work on your computer, and rewriting files is something malware also does, so your antivirus got suspicious). Antiviruses learn to allow SMAPI after enough users download it, but this resets for each release. SMAPI doesn't have a trojan — you can check by reading the code, decompiling the download, or uploading it to VirusTotal.
If this happens, here's how to fix it:
- Temporarily disable your antivirus.
- Redownload and install SMAPI.
- Add an exception to your antivirus for the Stardew Valley folder (search online for your antivirus name with the words add folder exception for instructions).
Controller doesn't work properly with SMAPI (Steam only)
- Launch the game through Steam.
- Windows only: make sure you set the launch options (see part 2 in the Windows install guide), don't add SMAPI as a non-Steam game.
- If all else fails, you can use third-party software to add controller support. Suggested software:
|last resort on Linux/Mac|
As a last resort on Linux or Mac, you can disable the SMAPI console window to fix this. You won't see update/error alerts unless you check the log, and your game won't launch after a crash until you delete the smapi-internal/StardewModdingAPI.crash.marker file. You should periodically check the log to make sure everything is working correctly. If you really want to do this:
You'll need to repeat this after updating SMAPI.
Game resolution changes when launched with SMAPI (Windows only)
Symptom: everything looks bigger/smaller if you launch the game with SMAPI, than if you launch without it.
That's usually caused by the Windows DPI settings. Common fixes:
- Right-click on StardewModdingAPI.exe, go to Properties > Compatibility > Change high DPI settings, and make sure both checkboxes are unchecked.
- If that doesn't fix it: right-click on Stardew Valley.exe and go to Properties > Compatibility > Change high DPI settings. Take note of what options are set (even if they're grayed out), then set the same options for StardewModdingAPI.exe.
Fix specific errors
"SMAPI can't find the game"
- Make sure you're running
StardewModdingAPI.exein your game folder (see the install instructions).
- Did you install SMAPI manually (not using the installer)? Make sure you copied the right files:
internal/Windowsfor Windows, or
"Skipped '...' because it doesn't have a manifest.json"
SMAPI couldn't find the
manifest.json file for the mod in that folder. That usually means it's not a SMAPI mod, so it won't work from the
Mods folder. See that mod's documentation for install instructions.
"missing executable" (Steam only)
Steam can't find the game launcher, usually because your Steam launch options are incorrect. Common fixes:
- If you want to use SMAPI:
make sure it's installed and your launch options are correct (see install guide).
- If you're uninstalling SMAPI:
- In Steam, right-click Stardew Valley and choose Properties.
- Click the Set Launch Options button.
- Make sure the textbox is completely empty.
"looks like Mono isn't installed" (Linux/Mac only)
Mono is a framework needed by the installer and SMAPI to work correctly. Installing Mono and restarting your computer usually fixes this error.
On Mac, it might not work after installing Mono. If so:
- Enter this command:
ln -s /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/bin/mono /usr/local/bin/mono
- If that shows an error or it still doesn't work, you can install Homebrew and run
brew install mono mono-libgdiplusin the Terminal app.
Could not load file or assembly
If the 'file or assembly' starts with Microsoft or System (like "FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.[...]' or one of its dependencies"), something is wrong with the core frameworks used by the game.
- Common fixes:
platform reinstall frameworks Windows reinstall .NET Framework 4.5.2 and XNA Framework 4.0 (those exact versions). Linux reinstall mono-complete. Mac reinstall Mono (either channel is fine).
- On Windows only, in rare cases that won't fix the issue. Unfortunately that's hard to fix since .NET Framework is part of Windows itself. In those cases you may need to perform a Windows reset (you can keep your files), or perform a clean reinstall of Windows. This is drastic, but should fix the issue.
Game freezes when loading a save (Mac only)
Fix other problems
Run the game without SMAPI by launching
Stardew Valley.exe (on Windows) or
StardewValley-original (on Linux/Mac) in your game folder.
- If it still happens without SMAPI: see this guide to fixing your game. If you still need help, ask for help.
- If it only happens with SMAPI, ask for help.
Ask for help
Find your SMAPI log
The SMAPI log has useful info for troubleshooting problems (like your versions, mods, game path, errors, etc).
Here's how to share it:
- Find the log file here:
Platform Path Windows
%appdata%" into the address bar, Windows knows where it is.)
(The folder is hidden by default. From Files, click Go » Enter Location and enter "~/.config".)
(The folder is hidden by default. From Finder, click Go » Go to Folder and enter "~/.config".)
- Upload the file to log.smapi.io and share the link.
For help with a mod, the mod author is the best person to ask. These are the best ways to contact them:
- the discussion thread linked to on the mod page (if any);
- the 'bugs' section on the Nexus mod page (if any);
- otherwise contact the author directly (e.g. use the 'Contact' button on the Nexus mod page).
For help with...
- SMAPI: ask the community or post in this thread.
- a mod whose author can't be contacted: ask the community or post in this thread.
What to include in a bug report
Figuring out why something went wrong for someone else can be tough, so it helps if you include as much information as possible. Here's the most useful information you can give.
- Describe your problem:
- Which mod has an issue?
- What is the problem? Be as descriptive as possible. (Does the game freeze or close? Does the screen go black? Does nothing at all happen?)
- What were you doing when it broke? Did you notice a pattern? For example, maybe it always breaks when you do a certain thing.
- Describe your context:
- Do you use a mod manager? If so, which one?
- Do you play on Linux, Mac, or Windows?
- Upload your SMAPI log to log.smapi.io (see instructions on that page), and add a link to your message.