Modding talk:Player Guide/Troubleshooting
|This talk page is for discussing Modding:Player Guide/Troubleshooting.|
Solution for “nothing happens on launch” for macOS reverted?
Was surprised to see my contribution reverted the next day by Pathoschild with the message “remove new addition for now (doesn't seem to be a common issue currently, and it's more likely to confuse players especially since it's in an unrelated section”
- This page’s sole reason for existing is to collect solutions to problems with this game and its modding tools in one easy to find place. If it’s going to be useful it should err on the side of comprehensiveness, not brevity for brevity’s sake.
- As to “not common” in this day and age it would probably happen with equal frequency to someone playing on a computer with no audio device.
- The addition was not in an unrelated section. It was a solution to a situation where nothing happens when you launch the game with SMAPI installed, which is why it was placed in that section. The problem does not occur without SMAPI being in use.
- The addition clearly said it would only apply to people running macOS who are seeing a blank terminal window. This seems unlikely to cause confusion since anyone would know whether this applies to them.
I experienced this problem, and this page was the first place I checked for a solution. Since there was none, I spent a long time trying to figure it out, and eventually found the fix, which was simple but non-obvious. I hate to think that after all the trouble I went through to find and document the problem as concisely as possible, it should be struck out and other people have to waste time on it as I did. Also consider that others who experience this issue and cannot find a solution are not likely to let you know about it; more likely they will just give up using SMAPI with Stardew.
I’m not necessarily asking that the solution be reinstated verbatim; if it should be edited in any way for clarity, by all means do so. But to strike it outright seems unwarranted.
- Hi Veclrovan. Thanks for the contribution! Many players aren't tech-savvy; we try to cover common fixes on this page, without overwhelming them with solutions to every possible edge case. That's why the last step is 'ask for help', so one of our volunteers can help users figure out rare issues. We decide which issues are 'common' based on the issues that users ask about, and I've never seen that specific issue before. By contrast, the 'no audio device' issue did happen frequently until we documented it here. —Pathoschild (talk) 01:01, 24 June 2019 (BST)
- There are countless tech support edge cases, and many aren't specific to Stardew Valley, so we can't feasibly document issues on the wiki that only affect a few players. The best way to document cases like that is with a question & answer on Super User or Arqade, with some good keywords so the question shows up when tech support volunteers (or players) do a Google search for the issue. —Pathoschild (talk) 05:23, 24 June 2019 (BST)
Translation of some of the content
I wasn't sure where to put it, since it doesn't seem like we have any translations of this page except German. Makco from the discord server translated the MP connection issues steps for another user recently and I wanted to share them. If someone could set them up correctly so they don't go to waste? Thank you!
- 1- asegúrate que tu juego esté actualizado y tu partida esta en modo cooperativo
- 2- asegúrate que tu partida tiene suficiente cabañas para otros jugadores
- 3- asegúrate que tu partida esta en modo en línea en las opciones del juego
- 4- apaga todos los antivirus y cortafuegos
- 5- asegúrate de que todos están conectados a Steam/GoG
- 6- haz una revisión de integridad de los archivos del juego
- 7- reinicia la computadora de todos los jugadores
- 8- reinicia el enrutador de todos los jugadores
- 9- reinstala .NET Framework 4.5.2 and XNA Framework 4.0
Credit to Makco#1990
Adding a step for "Can't connect to another player in multiplayer"
Based on two recent reddit and forum posts, it seems that people's steam names can stop them from making a multiplayer connection. I think this would be worth adding to that section of the page, but I'm not sure where. Should it be added after the other listed steps, or somewhere in the middle? - Odin (talk) 22:19, 8 July 2020 (UTC)
- Definitely a question for Pathoschild, if he doesn't respond in a timely manner, maybe you should put a note on his talk page. :) margotbean (talk) 01:47, 9 July 2020 (UTC)