|This talk page is for discussing Modding:Maps.|
I've seen some confusion over on Discord from newer modders reading this page trying to parse the difference between the SMAPI and Tiled examples. Given how far CP's and TMXL's map editing capabilities have advanced, I think direct map edits from SMAPI mods are a much rarer use case now. (And with SMAPI's new map patching API, these examples aren't necessarily the best way to go about it.) I'd like to propose shifting the SMAPI instructions and examples out of the main flow of the page, either to a section at the end or to a secondary page. Pathoschild and Margotbean, thoughts? -- kdau (talk) 22:51, 10 May 2020 (UTC)
- This is totally out of my wheelhouse, I'm not sure what TMXL is. Pathos? margotbean (talk) 23:05, 10 May 2020 (UTC)
- TMXL is a mod which lets content packs add/edit maps. It's probably the most common way to edit maps after Content Patcher.
- I think having any of the specific editing instructions in the main flow is confusing. Maybe we should move all of them into separate sections, something like...
1. About map editing 1. Basic concepts 2. Tile coordinates 3. Map formats 4. Tilesheets 5. Map properties 6. Tile properties 7. Tile animations 8. Paths layer 9. Potential issues 2. Using Tiled 3. Editing maps with... 1. Content Patcher 2. TMXL Map Toolkit 3. SMAPI
- I started a draft reorganization here. The non-app-specific material on most topics turned out to be quite thin, so I kept separate copies of it in the Tiled and SMAPI sections for now, but that will of course need to change further. CP and TMXL sections will have to be written too. kdau (talk) 04:25, 12 May 2020 (UTC)