You can have children only if you are married and have upgraded the Farmhouse for the second time which adds a nursery and an extra room. After you go to bed for the night, your spouse might ask (1/20 chance) if you want to have/adopt a child. You can answer "yes" or "not now." Same-gender couples will adopt children, and opposite-gender couples will have biological children.
You can only have two children, one male and one female. The gender of the first child is random, and the gender of the second child is the opposite of the first child. Children never grow up past the Toddler stage (Stage 4). You will have the option to acquire a second child only after the first child has grown to the Toddler stage.
Once children are able to walk, hats can be placed on their heads. To remove a hat from a child's head, select another hat in inventory and click on the child. The new hat will be retained in inventory, and the child's hat will be removed.
If you maintain a 10-heart relationship with your spouse, already have the nursery, and have been married for at least 7 days, there is a ≈5% chance that you will be asked if you want to have a child. If you agree, the baby will be born after 14 days and appear in the crib in the nursery. If you say "not now," there will be a ≈5% chance that your spouse will ask again, each night that you are married (and maintain 10 hearts).
For the first 14 days in the nursery, the baby will stay sleeping. After this, it will begin to stand in the crib (except when sleeping) for another 14 days, but you can play with it. When this stage is passed, it will be allowed out of its crib for another 28 days to crawl around in your house during the day.
Finally, the baby will enter the toddler stage for the rest of its life. It will start sleeping in one of the beds in the nursery, freeing the crib for another child (if you do not already have two children).
The adoption process is very similar to having a child biologically. If you maintain a 10-heart relationship with your spouse, already have the nursery, and have been married for at least 7 days, there is a ≈5% chance that you will be asked if you want to adopt a child.
If you agree, the adoption will occur after 14 days. While you are waiting for your child, your spouse will tell you that the adoption paperwork has been filed.
Your child will appear in the middle of the night, with a note saying that the adoption agency dropped off your new baby.
Interactions with the child will always result in "[child's name] is sleeping.".
When interacting with the child, the player will toss it into the air, which improves the relationship level. You can also toss the child while sleeping for a funny animation.
The child will crawl around the house and play with toys. Sometimes it might be buggy and get stuck in furniture. At night it will be put back into the crib automatically.
The child will dash around the house. You can right click on the child to interact and increase the relationship level.
Children can be dismissed late game by interacting with the Dark Shrine of Selfishness inside the Witch's Hut. By offering the shrine a Prismatic Shard it will allow players to turn children into doves, making them leave the farm forever. Once dismissed, children are gone for good and cannot be returned. Note, however, that this will open up the possibility of your spouse asking if you want to have children again.
After turning children into doves...
| On the Standard Farm: Watching TV on Fall 26 and choosing "???" will show an eerie message, and then an Ancient Doll will pop out of the TV. Thereafter, there will be a cursed Ancient Doll in front of the Dark Shrine of Selfishness, which will fly around and attack the player. When slain, this Ancient Doll will turn into a large black bird and fly away. Exiting and re-entering the Witch's Hut will respawn the doll.
On the Four-Corners Farm: Instead of watching TV, players may catch an Ancient Doll while fishing.
Note: Killing this doll counts toward the Monster Eradication goal of killing 200 bats.
Friendship with children works similarly to friendship with non-marriageable villagers. Some specific details:
- You may not increase friendship with a child in stage 1. Friendship stays at 0 points.
- When the child first reaches stage 2, their friendship is set to 250 points (1 heart).
- In stage 2-4, you may interact with the child (heart balloon appears above their head) to increase friendship by 20 points, once per day.
- You may not give gifts to children.
- Friendship with children is subject to Decay just like with normal villagers; specifically, each day you don't interact with a child, friendship decays by 2 points. When a child reaches 10 hearts, decay stops.
- Completing the Bulletin Board Bundle, which gives 500 friendship points to some villagers, does not affect friendship with children.
- Results of the soup tasting at the Luau, which affects friendship points with most villagers, does not affect friendship with children.
- 1.0: Introduced.
- 1.1: Dying or passing out the day before will no longer skip the birth event. Added ability to dismiss children via a shrine at the Witch's Hut.
- 1.4: Added ability to put hats on children, secret event after dismissing children, removed bug where child would never be born/delivered if triggered the same day a bundle/joja reward was completed.