|A combustible rock that is useful for crafting and smelting.|
Coal is a type of resource in Stardew Valley. It is obtained in many different ways, primarily while mining, by being bought from Clint, or by being created in a Charcoal Kiln. Coal can be brought from Clint at the Blacksmith's shop for 150g, but it is cheaper to buy 10 wood for 100g from Robin at the Carpenter's Shop and convert that wood into coal in the Charcoal Kiln. Other ways include recycling trash and finding treasure chests while fishing. Coal is used in some crafting recipes and allows for smelting in a furnace to occur.
- Coal can sometimes be found by mining rocks — both in the mines and anywhere on the map. Luck increases the chances of finding coal.
- Coal can be found in mine carts in certain levels of the mines - follow the mine railways then simply click on the coal-filled cart (Note: some carts are empty).
- Coal can be found in brown miner's bags lying in certain levels of the mines. Every bag contains around 8 pieces.
- Coal can be foraged on the beach in the fall, including coal with quality stars. Gold star coal sells for 22g
- A Charcoal Kiln can be used to convert 10 wood into 1 coal
- You can farm coal by killing Dust Sprites between levels 41-79 (Use the elevator to come and go to do it faster). Doing that is an easy way to farm Iron Ore as well.
- A much more target-able way to farm both Coal and Iron Ore is to start level 50, where level 51 has a high likelihood of both Dust Sprites and Iron Ore, while 52 is a long narrow path to a guaranteed ladder. 53 on a good day is an infested level normally filled with Dust Sprites and a free ladder to 54 if looking for more Iron Ore; rinse repeat.
- When farming Dust Sprites for Coal, it is best to wear a Burglar's Ring earned by killing said Dust Sprites.
- Black/Transparent Slimes drop Coal. They can be raised in Slime Hutches
|Bee House||Place outside and wait for delicious honey! (Except in Winter).||Wood (40) Coal (8) Iron Bar (1) Maple Syrup (1)||Farming Level 3|
|Preserves Jar||Turns vegetables into pickles and fruit into jam.||Wood (50) Stone (40) Coal (8)||Farming Level 4|
|Warrior Ring||Occasionally infuses the wearer with "warrior energy" after slaying a monster.||Iron Bar (10) Coal (25) Frozen Tear (10)||Combat Level 4|
|Cherry Bomb||Generates a small explosion. Stand back!||Copper Ore (4) Coal (1)||Mining Level 1|
|Bomb||Generates an explosion. Watch out!||Iron Ore (4) Coal (1)||Mining Level 6|
|Explosive Ammo||Fire this with the slingshot.||Iron Bar (1) Coal (2)||Combat Level 8|
|Wicked Statue||There's something unsettling about the looks of this statue.||Stone (25) Coal (5)||Krobus|
|Wooden Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Wood (10) Coal (1) Fiber (5)||Robin|
|Stone Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Stone (10) Coal (1) Fiber (5)||Robin|
|Gold Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Gold Bar (10) Coal (1) Fiber (5)||Robin|
|Carved Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Hardwood (10) Coal (1)||Robin|
|Stump Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Hardwood (10) Coal (1)||Robin|
|Barrel Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Wood (50) Solar Essence (1) Coal (1)||Robin|
|Skull Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Hardwood (10) Solar Essence (1) Coal (1)||Robin|
|Scarecrow||Prevents crows from eating crops in an area around the scarecrow.||Wood (50) Coal (1) Fiber (20)||Farming Level 1|
|Seed Maker||Place crops inside to produce a varying amount of seeds. Doesn't work with fruit tree crops.||Wood (25) Coal (10) Gold Bar (1)||Farming Level 9|
|Slime Egg-Press||Compresses 100 pieces of slime into a slime egg. It's a miracle of science!||Coal (25) Fire Quartz (1) Battery Pack (1)|
|Basic||Clay • Coal • Fiber • Hardwood • Stone • Wood • Battery Pack|
|Ore||Copper Ore • Iron Ore • Gold Ore • Iridium Ore|
|Bars||Copper Bar • Iron Bar • Gold Bar • Iridium Bar • Refined Quartz|