||“Penny lives with her mom, Pam, in a little trailer by the river. While Pam is out carousing at the saloon, Penny quietly tends to her chores in the dim, stuffy room she is forced to call home. She is shy and modest, without any grand ambitions for life other than settling in and starting a family. She likes to cook (although her skills are questionable) and read books from the local library.”
| — Dev Update #12
Penny is a villager who lives in Pelican Town. She's one of the twelve characters available to marry. Her trailer is just east of the center of town, west of the river.
Penny can usually be found in town reading or cleaning up at the trailer she shares with Pam. On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday she tutors Jas and Vincent at the museum, walking them both home afterwards. She doesn't tutor in the Summer season. Many Saturdays in Spring and Fall she'll take them to the town playground.
When it's raining Penny can either be found inside her trailer or visiting the museum looking at the selection of books.
Her schedule can deviate if there are specific conditions like season, weather, or certain days of the week. Below are her schedule deviations prioritized highest to lowest (for example when it rains that schedule will override all others below it)
| Raining (Year 2)
||Wakes up and walks to the museum to sit outside. "I'm going to go inside, I just wanted a quiet moment."
||Goes inside the museum to look at the bookshelves.
||Leaves the museum and returns to the trailer to watch some television.
||Moves over to the sink in the trailer to do some dishes.
||Goes to bed in her room in the trailer for the evening.
Penny lives with her mother Pam. She's friends with Maru and Sam.
She also teaches the local children, Jas and Vincent, at the museum a few days a week and accompanies them to the playground sometimes.
It is suggested that she may have a relationship with Sam that goes beyond simple friendship. Vincent remarks at one point that he saw Sam hoisting Penny into a tree at night, which leads to Penny being visibly startled and scolding Vincent for gossiping.
- Main article: Friendship#Gifts
- See also: List of All Gifts
You can give Penny up to two gifts per week (plus one on
birthday), which will raise or lower
friendship with you. Gifts on
birthday (Fall 2) will have 8× effect and show a unique dialogue.
For loved or liked gifts, Penny will say
||“A birthday gift? That's very kind of you! I love it.”
||“You remembered my birthday! Thank you, this is great!”
For neutral gifts, Penny will say
||“Oh, a birthday gift! Thank you.”
For disliked or hated gifts, Penny will say
||“Oh... It's for my birthday? ... Thanks.”
||“Thank you! I really love this!”
||“Thank you! This looks special.”
||“Thanks, this looks nice.”
||“Uh, it's for me? ...Thanks.”
||“Ugh...I'm sorry, but I absolutely hate this.”
Enter the town on a sunny day between 9am and 2pm.
| George looks into his mailbox and wonders how he'll reach a letter in the back. Penny notices and gets the letter out for him. George is upset at being seen helpless and scolds her. Penny sees you and asks if you were watching them.
- "I was. You did a kind thing there, Penny." (+50 friendship.) Penny thanks you, but is unhappy that George was upset.
- "You should've left him alone. Now he's grumpy." (-50 friendship.) Penny apologises to George.
- "I'm just taking a walk, minding my own business." (No effect on friendship.) Penny responds "I see".
Regardless of your choice, George sighs and apologises to Penny for getting angry. He says it was very kind of her to help. Penny says she understands. After George leaves, Penny says it must be difficult growing old.
- "I'd rather not think about it." (No effect on friendship.) She responds, "I guess you're right... why stress out about something you can't change?"
- "It's just a different part of life." (No effect on friendship.) She responds, "You're right, we shouldn't ignore the reality of aging. I guess the sooner we come to terms with our mortality, the more time we can spend really living in the here-and-now."
- "That's why we should respect our elders." (No effect on friendship.) She responds, "That's nice of you to say... I totally agree with you. We should treat our elders with the same respect we hope to receive ourselves some day."
- "I'd rather die young..." (No effect on friendship.) She responds, "That's a horrible thing to say. Life is a precious thing to waste like that!"
Penny bids you farewell and leaves.
Enter the trailer when she's home.
| Penny complains about how messy the place is, and asks if you could help her clean up. As you do so, Pam returns home and yells at Penny for letting someone else clean her home. Pam eventually asks you to leave, and they continue their discussion privately. Pam admits that she's embarrassed to have strangers clean up the house. The next day, you get a letter of apology from Penny.
Enter the trailer when she's home.
| Penny asks you to try a recipe she invented.
- "(Lie) Mmm! That was delicious!" (+50 friendship.) She responds: "You really mean it? Thank you! ... it's such a relief to hear that. I've been working so hard on this recipe, and I'm really proud of it. Hey, since you're the first person to try it, I'm going to name this one 'Chili de <your name>'."
- "Uh... can I get the rest to go?" (-50 friendship.) Penny is crestfallen and says her recipe was a failure.
- "Well it's definitely unique... how did you get it so rubbery?" (No effect on friendship.) Penny is crestfallen and says her recipe was a failure.
Regardless of your choice, she invites you to watch a movie together.
Enter Cindersap Forest between 9am and 4pm.
| Penny is on a field trip with Jas and Vincent. Penny asks you if you'd like to be a guest speaker and share your experience about the countryside with the children.
- "I'd love to!" (+10 friendship.) She responds, "Great! Let me just call the children over."
- "Sure." (No effect on friendship.) She responds, "Great! Let me just call the children over."
- "No... I can't stand kids." (-1500 friendship.) She responds, "Really?... Uh... Well, alright. I guess I'll see you later then." The scene ends.
If you agree to speak to the kids, you're prompted for a number of dialogue options (which have no effect on friendship). Afterwards Penny tells the children to run along and asks you if you'd like to be a parent.
- "I haven't really thought about it." (No effect on friendship.) She responds, "Oh no? Well, I guess that makes sense... you're busy with other things right now."
- "Absolutely. I want a big family." (+20 friendship.) She responds, "... Me too. I'm glad you feel that way."
- "I guess so. It's a natural urge." (+20 friendship.) She responds, "Yes... the urge to care for something innocent and helpless. It makes sense that we'd feel that."
- "No, I don't think I'd be good at it." (+10 friendship.) She responds, "Oh, really? I think you'd make a good parent."
- "No, The world's crowded enough already." (-10 friendship.) She responds, "hmm... If everyone thought like that, humans would die out."
- "No, I don't want to be tied down with a family." (-10 friendship.) She responds, "Oh... That's kind of sad... but I guess I can understand your point."
The scene fades and she thanks you for showing up.
You receive a letter from Penny. After receiving the letter, enter the pool area of the spa between 7pm and midnight.
| Penny joins you in the pool. She asks if you know why she invited you here.
- "You have something to tell me." (No effect on friendship.) She responds, "That's right..."
- "I'm not exactly sure." (No effect on friendship.) She responds, "Really? I thought you'd have noticed by now..."
- "You wanted to see me in my bathing suit." (No effect on friendship.) She responds, "No!"
Penny confesses her feelings for you.
- "I feel the same way about you." (No effect on friendship.) She responds, "...Oh, <your name>. I thought you did, but I wasn't sure. ...I'll always remember this night. You look so beautiful tonight... I... *gasp*" You kiss and the scene ends.
- "Sorry, but I don't like you in that way..." (-1500 friendship.) The scene ends.
Once married, Penny will move into the farmhouse and begin working at the museum on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. Like other marriage candidates, she will add her own room off to the side of the bedroom, which happens to be a small library. She'll also setup a small potted plant garden behind the farmhouse where she'll go to read.
- 1: At 12 hearts she will help around the farm when she's not working. She will:
- Water crops
- Fill pet bowl
- Feed animals
- Repair fences
- 2: She will also occasionally cook you breakfast, adding one random breakfast food to your inventory. If your inventory is full, you will not receive the item.
Some of the possible breakfast items are:
- Hashbrowns (90 Energy, 90 Health, +1 Farming)
- Pancakes (90 Energy, 36 Health, +2 Foraging)
- Omelet (100 Energy, 40 Health)
- 3: Less often, Penny will say that she had gone shopping and brought you something. Some of the possible items are:
- Large Milk
- 4: Give you a Stardrop as a sign of love.
Get your Penny to 13/12 hearts and speak to them in your home. She will comment about life on the farm and how they are enjoying it, then give you the Stardrop Fruit as thanks.
"But it's best not to dwell on bad things, right?"
- Right. It's best to be positive!
- "That's how I feel. I'm just going to focus on making the future better."
- I think it's good to be realistic.
- "Maybe you're right. It's better to cope with reality."
- "I just saw a songbird flying due west. In Stardew Valley that's a very good omen."
- "I'm really happy on our little farm, [Player]."
- "Isn't this the perfect place to raise children? I would've been so happy growing up on a farm."
- "Hmm... skirt or pants tomorrow? Oh, who am I kidding... I always go with the skirt."
- "A nice house, two wonderful kids, and a beautiful plot of land. We're so very fortunate."
- Note: This dialogue will only play if you have two children.
- "This is a lot more peaceful than my old spot in town. I'm very happy here."
- This dialogue will play when Penny is reading in her garden.
There may be days when Penny stays on the farm or even solely inside the farmhouse. On these days, she might say:
- "Don't worry about me... I know you've got a lot of responsibilities outside of the house. I'm fine in here by myself!"
If Penny is leaving for the day and will return home later, she may say (regardless of whether or not she is working):
- "I have to go into town today. Don't work too hard, and eat something good for lunch!"
- "I'm going to head into town today, just for fun. I'll be back in awhile!"
- "Good evening, honey. Did you accomplish everything you wanted to today? If not, that's okay. We've got all the time in the world!"
- "Good evening. My day was fine, thanks! How was yours?"
- "I had a nice time... It's good to stay in contact with everyone. Tell me about your day."
- "Jas and Vincent weren't behaving well today. I'm still all wound up..."
- "Ready to tuck in? I made the bed and everything..."
||Penny is in need of an Iron Bar. Bring Penny an Iron Bar.
||Finish Quest by bringing Penny an Iron Bar within two days.
||360g; Penny will be thankful.
||I'd like to put an Amethyst above the mantle. Please deliver it some time today. -Penny
||Finish Quest by bringing Penny an Amethyst within two days.
||300g on delivery, Penny will be thankful
Penny's look evolved over the years the game was in development.
Here's a timeline showing how ConcernedApe's art and Penny's style changed over the years before the game was launched.
- 1.0: Introduced.
- 1.1: Added reading garden area behind farmhouse if married.
- ↑ http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-12/