You can become friends with Pelican Town's villagers. As your friendships deepen, the villagers' dialogue lines become more friendly, cutscenes called heart events occur, and the villagers send you gifts in the mail.
- 1 Friendship mechanics
- 2 Universal Gifts
Each villager has a friendship score represented by a ten-heart meter (for a normal villager) or twelve-heart meter (for your spouse):
Each heart is 250 friendship points. You can view your relationships on the social tab of the game menu.
You can increase friendship points by:
- talking to villagers (+10 if the villager is in the middle of a special animation, like exercising or using a camera, otherwise +20; can only score once per day);
- completing a delivery quest for them (+150);
- giving them a gift they like (see Gifts);
- making certain choices in their heart events.
You can lose friendship points by:
- not talking to a villager (-2/day);
- giving them a gift they dislike (see Gifts);
- hitting them with the slingshot;
- rummaging through a trash can when they're nearby (-25, except Linus who doesn't mind).
When a villager's heart meter is full, it will no longer decay over time even if you never talk to them. (If the NPC is romanceable but you haven't given them a bouquet, the heart meter is considered full at 8 hearts.) It may still decrease by other means (e.g. giving them a bad gift).
When a villager's heart meter is at least 2 hearts, you may enter their room.
You can give each villager two gifts per week (one per day), as indicated by the checkboxes in the social tab. You can always give them a gift on their birthday, even if you've already given them two that week. After marrying a villager, you can give them one gift every day of the week.
Each villager has individual likes and dislikes, which affects how many friendship points are gained when you give them a gift. The friendship points are multiplied on their birthday (×8) and Secret Santa event (×5):
|Gift Taste||Normal||Santa (×5)||Birthday (×8)|
If a gift is liked or loved, the points gained will be further affected by quality of the item:
Gaining friendship with each villager will unlock unique events (see each villager's article for the requirements). It's possible to permanently miss some events, though most events can be viewed at your leisure or out of order.
- Main article: Marriage
Some villagers can be romanced by the player (see marriage candidates). Once you've reached eight hearts with an eligible villager, you can give them a bouquet to unlock the ninth and tenth hearts. (You can give bouquets to multiple villagers with no repercussions before marriage. Doing so after marriage may lose friendship points with your spouse.) Once you've reached ten hearts with an eligible villager, you can give them a Mermaid's Pendant to propose.
After you've married a villager, they get an expanded twelve-heart friendship meter. Reaching the hidden thirteenth heart will net you a stardrop.
- Main article: Festivals
Two festivals can affect friendship points:
- The Flower Dance increases friendship points with your dance partner.
- The Luau increases or decreases friendship points with all villagers.
- See also: List of All Gifts
Below are lists of items that are universally loved, liked, considered neutral, disliked, or hated. Note that there are some exceptions and that individual villager tastes override any universal tastes. Preferences for most Foraged Items (including Foraged Minerals) and Fruit vary by villager, and are generally not listed here.
This is a list of items that every villager absolutely loves to receive as a gift. These items are guaranteed to give the most points (80) towards your relationship, but may be difficult to obtain.
|Prismatic Shard||A very rare and powerful substance with unknown origins.||Mining|
|Rabbit's Foot||Some say it's lucky.||Animals|
Universal Loves exceptions
Though worth fewer friendship points than a loved gift, a liked gift increases friendship by 45 points, and is often much easier to obtain.
- All Gems
- All Cooking (Except for Fried Egg and Bread, which are universally neutral, and Strange Bun which is hated)
- All Artisan Goods (Except for Oil which is disliked, and Void Mayonnaise which is hated)
- All Fruit Tree Fruits
- All Vegetables including Fiddlehead Fern (Except Wheat and Hops which are Universal Neutrals)
- All Flowers (Except for Poppy which is hated, and Daffodil and Dandelion, which vary by villager)
- Life Elixir
- Maple Syrup
Universal Likes exceptions
- Harvey loves Coffee, Pickles, Truffle Oil, Wine and Super Meal.
- Abigail, Haley, Jas, Vincent and Sam dislike Vegetables.
- Sebastian, George and Clint dislike Flowers.
- Sebastian, Jas, and Vincent dislike Artisan Goods except Mead.
- Sebastian dislikes Omelet, Complete Breakfast and Farmer's Lunch.
- Caroline dislikes and Jas hates Mayonnaise.
- Emily dislikes Ice Cream.
- Harvey dislikes Cheese and Goat Cheese.
- Leah dislikes Pancakes and Gems, except Diamond and Earth Crystal which she likes.
- Maru, Sam, and Shane dislike Pickles.
- Maru dislikes Maple Syrup and Honey.
- Penny dislikes Pale Ale, Mead and Wine, while Pam loves them.
- Pierre dislikes Gems, except Diamond which he likes.
- Evelyn, Emily and Kent dislike Sashimi, and Willy is neutral towards it.
- Willy dislikes most Cooking, except dishes that have Fish in them (except Sashimi, Maki Roll and Dish O' The Sea, which he is neutral towards).
- Krobus dislikes Cooking.
This is a list of items that will elicit a neutral response from the villagers, and give 20 points toward friendship. There are some exceptions.
|Duck Feather||It's so colorful.||Animals|
|Wool||Soft, fluffy wool.||Animals|
|Truffle||A gourmet type of mushroom with a unique taste.||Animals|
|Sweet Gem Berry||It's the sweetest thing you have ever smelled.||Farming|
|Fried Egg||Sunny-side up.||Cooking||
|Bread||A crusty baguette.||Cooking||
Wheat Flour (1)
|Wheat||One of the most widely cultivated grains. Makes a great flour for breads and cakes.||Farming|
|Hops||A bitter, tangy flower used to flavor beer.||Farming|
|Clam||Someone lived here once.||Foraging - The Beach|
|Coral||A colony of tiny creatures that clump together to form beautiful structures.||Foraging - The Beach|
|Nautilus Shell||An ancient shell.||Foraging - The Beach|
|Rainbow Shell||It's a very beautiful shell.||Foraging - The Beach|
Universal Neutrals exceptions
- Elliott loves Duck Feathers.
- Emily loves Wool.
- Sandy likes Wool.
- Penny dislikes Duck Feathers and Wool.
- Leah loves Truffles, hates Bread.
- Evelyn hates Clam and Coral.
- Harvey likes Duck Feathers, dislikes Bread, and hates Coral, Nautilus Shell, and Rainbow Shell.
- Maru hates Truffles.
This is a list of items that will decrease friendship by 20 points when given as gifts.
- All Fish (except for Clam which is a Universal Neutral, and Carp & Snails which are Universal Hates)
- All Crafting including Field Snack (except Life Elixir which is liked, and Oil of Garlic, Rain Totem and Warp Totems which are hated)
- Geode Minerals
- All Building Materials -- Battery Packs, Clay, Fiber, Hardwood, Stone, and Wood
- Most Metal Goods -- Coal, Copper Bars, Gold Bars, Gold Ore, Iridium Bars, Iridium Ore, Iron Bars, and Refined Quartz
- All Fertilizer
- All Seeds including Fruit Tree Saplings, Acorns, Maple Seeds, and Pine Cones
- All Tackle
- All Geodes
|Cave Carrot||A starchy snack found in caves. It helps miners work longer.||Foraging|
|Driftwood||A piece of wood from the sea.||Fishing|
|Wheat Flour||A common cooking ingredient made from crushed wheat seeds.||Pierre's|
|Oil||All purpose cooking oil.||Pierre's|
|Void Egg||A jet-black egg with red flecks. It's warm to the touch.||Animals|
|Vinegar||An aged fermented liquid used in many cooking recipes.||Pierre's|
|Rice||A basic grain often served under vegetables.||Pierre's|
|Oak Resin||A sticky, fragrant substance derived from oak sap.||Tapper|
|Pine Tar||A pungent substance derived from pine sap.||Tapper|
|Solar Essence||The glowing face is warm to the touch||Mining|
|Void Essence||It's quivering with dark energy||Mining|
|Spring Onion||These grow wild during the spring.||Foraging|
|Stardew Hero Trophy||The most prestigious award a Stardew Valley resident could receive!||Community Center|
Universal Dislikes exceptions
- Sebastian and Krobus love Void Eggs.
- Wizard loves Solar Essence and Void Essence.
- Clint and Dwarf love Omni Geodes.
- Maru loves Battery Packs, likes Oak Resin and Pine Tar.
- Clint and Maru love Gold Bars.
- Clint, Krobus, Maru, and Willy love Iridium Bars.
- Sam loves Tigerseye.
- Krobus and Willy like Gold Bars.
- Clint and Maru like Copper Bars and Iron Bars.
- Leah likes Driftwood.
- Willy likes many types of fish.
- Robin likes Hardwood.
- Harvey, Leah, and Linus like Spring Onion
- Clint is neutral towards Refined Quartz, Coal, Gold Ore, and Iridium Ore.
- Abigail, Evelyn, George, Haley, Jas, Marnie, Sebastian, and Vincent hate Clay.
- Sam hates Metal Goods.
This is a list of items that will decrease friendship by 40 points when given as gifts.
- All Trash (except for Driftwood which is disliked)
- All Bait
- All Furniture
- All Monster Loot (except Solar Essence and Void Essence which are disliked)
- All Artifacts
- All Warp Totems and the Rain Totem
|Sap||A fluid obtained from trees.||Foraging|
|Carp||A common pond fish.||Fishing|
|Seaweed||It can be used in cooking.||Fishing|
|Green Algae||It's really slimy.||Fishing|
|White Algae||It's super slimy.||Fishing|
|Grass Starter||Place this on your Farm to start a new patch of grass.||Pierre's|
|Hay||Dried grass used as animal food.||Foraging, Marnie's|
|Poppy||In addition to its colorful flower, the Poppy has culinary and medicinal uses.||Farming|
|Copper Ore||A common ore that can be smelted into bars.||Mining|
|Iron Ore||A fairly common ore that can be smelted into bars.||Mining|
|Sea Urchin||A slow-moving, spiny creature that some consider a delicacy.||Foraging|
|Red Mushroom||A spotted mushroom sometimes found in caves.||Foraging|
|Snail||A wide-ranging mollusk that lives in a spiral shell.||Fishing|
|Oil of Garlic||Drink this and weaker monsters will avoid you.||Crafting|
|Strange Bun||What's inside?||Cooking|
|Void Mayonnaise||A thick, black paste that smells like burnt hair.||Mayonnaise Machine|
|Sugar||Adds sweetness to pastries and candies. Too much can be unhealthy.||Mill, Pierre's and JojaMart|
|Treasure Chest||Wow, it's loaded with treasure! This is sure to fetch a good price.||Fishing|
|Energy Tonic||Restores a lot of energy..||Harvey's Clinic|
|Muscle Remedy||When you've pushed your body too hard, drink this to remove Exhaustion.||Harvey's Clinic|
|Golden Pumpkin||It's valuable but has no other purpose.||Spirit's Eve Festival|
|Slime Eggs of all colors||Can be hatched in a slime incubator.||Slimes, Slime Egg-Press|
Universal Hates exceptions
- Krobus loves Void Mayonnaise.
- Penny loves Poppies.
- Dwarf likes Dwarf Scroll I, Dwarf Scroll II, Dwarf Scroll III, Dwarf Scroll IV, Dwarvish Helm, and Dwarf Gadget.
- Sam likes Joja Cola.
- Leah, Marnie, Sam, and Shane dislike Seaweed.
- Penny dislikes Red Mushrooms.
- Wizard dislikes Slime.
- Abigail dislikes Sugar.