You can become friends with Pelican Town's villagers. As your friendships deepen, the villagers' dialogue lines become more friendly, cut-scenes called heart events occur, and the villagers send you gifts in the mail.
When talking to villagers, a circle will appear next to their portrait. Its color will depend on the number of hearts you have with the villager. Blue denotes 0 hearts, green for 2, yellow for 4, red for 6, purple for 8, and at 10-12 hearts a purple star will appear. Scrolling the mouse over the circle will display the number of hearts out of 10, if not married.
- 1 Friendship mechanics
- 2 Universal Gifts
- 3 Achievements
Each villager has a friendship score represented by a ten-heart meter (for a normal villager) or twelve-heart meter (for your spouse):
Each heart is 250 friendship points. You can view your relationships on the social tab of the game menu.
You can increase friendship points by:
- talking to villagers (+10 if the villager is in the middle of a special animation, like exercising or using a camera, otherwise +20; can only score once per day);
- completing a delivery quest for them (+150);
- giving them a gift they like (see Gifts);
- making certain choices in their heart events.
You can lose friendship points by:
- not talking to a villager (-2/day);
- giving them a gift they dislike (see Gifts);
- hitting them with the slingshot;
- rummaging through a trash can when they're nearby (-25, except Linus who doesn't mind).
When a villager's heart meter is full, it will no longer decay over time even if you never talk to them. (If the NPC is romanceable but you haven't given them a bouquet, the heart meter is considered full at 8 hearts.) It may still decrease by other means (e.g. giving them a bad gift).
When a villager's heart meter is at least 2 hearts, you may enter their room.
You can give each villager two gifts per week (one per day), as indicated by the checkboxes in the social tab. You can always give them a gift on their birthday, even if you've already given them two that week. After marrying a villager, you can give them one gift every day of the week.
Each villager has individual likes and dislikes, which affects how many friendship points are gained when you give them a gift. The friendship points are multiplied on their birthday (×8) and Secret Santa event (×5):
|Gift Taste||Normal||Santa (×5)||Birthday (×8)|
If a gift is liked or loved, the points gained will be further affected by quality of the item:
Gaining friendship with each villager will unlock unique events (see each villager's article for the requirements). It's possible to permanently miss some events, though most events can be viewed at your leisure or out of order.
- Main article: Marriage
Some villagers can be romanced by the player (see marriage candidates). Once you've reached eight hearts with an eligible villager, you can give them a bouquet to unlock the ninth and tenth hearts. (You can give bouquets to multiple villagers with no repercussions before marriage. Doing so after marriage may lose friendship points with your spouse.) Once you've reached ten hearts with an eligible villager, you can give them a Mermaid's Pendant to propose.
After you've married a villager, they get an expanded twelve-heart friendship meter. Reaching the hidden thirteenth heart will net you a stardrop.
- Main article: Festivals
Three festivals can affect friendship points:
- The Flower Dance increases friendship points with your dance partner.
- The Luau increases or decreases friendship points with all villagers.
- Your gift to your secret friend at the Feast of the Winter Star is worth 5x the normal amount of friendship points.
- See also: List of All Gifts
Below are lists of items that are universally loved, liked, considered neutral, disliked, or hated. Note that there are some exceptions and that individual villager tastes override any universal tastes.
Preferences for Eggs, Milk, Fruit, and most Foraged Items vary by villager, and are generally not listed here.
This is a list of items that every villager absolutely loves to receive as a gift. These items are guaranteed to give the most points (80) towards your relationship, but may be difficult to obtain.
|Prismatic Shard||A very rare and powerful substance with unknown origins.||Mining|
|Rabbit's Foot||Some say it's lucky.||Rabbits|
Universal Loves exceptions
Though worth fewer friendship points than a loved gift, a liked gift increases friendship by 45 points, and is often much easier to obtain.
- All Artisan Goods (Except for Oil which is disliked, and Void Mayonnaise which is hated)
- All Cooking (Except for Fried Egg and Bread, which are universally neutral, and Strange Bun which is hated)
- All Flowers (Except for Poppy which is hated)
- All Foraged Minerals (Except Quartz which varies by villager)
- All Fruit Tree Fruits
- All Gems (Except Prismatic Shard which is Loved)
- All Vegetables including Fiddlehead Fern (Except Wheat and Hops which are Universal Neutrals)
|Life Elixir||Restores health to full.||Crafting|
|Maple Syrup||A sweet syrup with a unique flavor.||Tapper|
Universal Likes exceptions
This is a list of items that will elicit a neutral response from the villagers, and give 20 points toward friendship. There are some exceptions.
|Duck Feather||It's so colorful.||Animals|
|Wool||Soft, fluffy wool.||Animals|
|Truffle||A gourmet type of mushroom with a unique taste.||Animals|
|Sweet Gem Berry||It's the sweetest thing you have ever smelled.||Farming|
|Fried Egg||Sunny-side up.||Cooking||
|Bread||A crusty baguette.||Cooking||
Wheat Flour (1)
|Wheat||One of the most widely cultivated grains. Makes a great flour for breads and cakes.||Farming|
|Hops||A bitter, tangy flower used to flavor beer.||Farming|
|Clam||Someone lived here once.||Foraging - The Beach|
|Coral||A colony of tiny creatures that clump together to form beautiful structures.||Foraging - The Beach|
|Nautilus Shell||An ancient shell.||Foraging - The Beach|
|Rainbow Shell||It's a very beautiful shell.||Foraging - The Beach|
Universal Neutrals exceptions
- Elliott loves Duck Feather.
- Emily loves Wool.
- Evelyn hates Clam and Coral.
- Harvey likes Duck Feather, dislikes Bread, hates Coral, Nautilus Shell, and Rainbow Shell.
- Leah loves Truffle, dislikes Fried Egg, hates Bread.
- Maru hates Truffle.
- Penny dislikes Duck Feather and Wool, hates Hops.
- Sandy likes Wool.
This is a list of items that will decrease friendship by 20 points when given as gifts.
- All Building Materials -- Battery Packs, Clay, Fiber, Hardwood, Stone, and Wood
- All Bombs
- All Crafted Floors & Paths
- All Fences
- All Fertilizer
- All Fish (except for Clam which is a Universal Neutral, and Carp & Snails which are Universal Hates)
- All Geode Minerals
- All Geodes
- All Seeds including Fruit Tree Saplings, Acorns, Maple Seeds, and Pine Cones
- All Sprinklers
- All Tackle
- Most Metal Goods -- Coal, Copper Bars, Gold Bars, Gold Ore, Iridium Bars, Iridium Ore, Iron Bars, and Refined Quartz
|Cave Carrot||A starchy snack found in caves. It helps miners work longer.||Foraging|
|Driftwood||A piece of wood from the sea.||Fishing|
|Wheat Flour||A common cooking ingredient made from crushed wheat seeds.||Pierre's General Store, Mill|
|Oil||All purpose cooking oil.||Pierre's General Store, Oil Maker|
|Void Egg||A jet-black egg with red flecks. It's warm to the touch.||Animals|
|Vinegar||An aged fermented liquid used in many cooking recipes.||Pierre's General Store|
|Rice||A basic grain often served under vegetables.||Pierre's General Store|
|Oak Resin||A sticky, fragrant substance derived from oak sap.||Tapper|
|Pine Tar||A pungent substance derived from pine sap.||Tapper|
|Solar Essence||The glowing face is warm to the touch||Mining|
|Void Essence||It's quivering with dark energy||Mining|
|Spring Onion||These grow wild during the spring.||Foraging|
|Field Snack||A quick snack to fuel the hungry forager.||Crafting|
|Jack-O-Lantern||A whimsical fall decoration.||Crafting|
|Tea Set||Fine porcelain.||Gift from Secret Gift Giver at Feast of the Winter Star|
|Stardew Hero Trophy||The most prestigious award a Stardew Valley resident could receive!||Community Center|
Universal Dislikes exceptions
- Abigail loves Pufferfish; hates Clay
- Clint loves Gold Bar, Iridium Bar, Omni Geode; likes Copper Bar, Iron Bar; is neutral toward Coal, Gold Ore, Iridium Ore, Refined Quartz
- Demetrius is neutral toward All Fish (except Carp & Snail)
- Dwarf loves Omni Geode; is neutral toward Solar Essence, Void Essence
- Elliott loves Lobster; likes Octopus, Squid; is neutral toward All Other Fish (except Carp & Snail); hates Sea Cucumber
- Evelyn hates All Fish, Clay
- Haley hates All Fish, Clay
- Harvey likes Spring Onion
- Krobus loves Void Egg; likes Gold Bar, Iridium Bar
- Leah likes Driftwood, Spring Onion; hates Void Egg
- Linus likes Spring Onion; is neutral toward All Fish (except Carp & Snail)
- Maru loves Battery Pack, Gold Bar, Iridium Bar; likes Copper Bar, Iron Bar, Oak Resin, Pine Tar
- Pam is neutral toward All Fish (except Carp, Octopus, Snail & Squid); hates Octopus, Squid
- Penny loves Sandfish
- Pierre hates All Fish
- Robin likes Hardwood
- Sam loves Tigerseye; hates Metal Goods
- Sebastian loves Obsidian, Void Egg; is neutral toward All Fish (except Carp & Snail); hates Clay
- Willy loves Catfish, Iridium Bar, Octopus, Sea Cucumber, Sturgeon; likes Gold Bar, Lingcod, Tiger Trout; is neutral toward All Other Fish (except Carp & Snail)
- Wizard loves Solar Essence, Void Essence; likes All Geode Minerals
- In addition to the villagers already listed, George, Jas, Marnie, and Vincent hate Clay
This is a list of items that will decrease friendship by 40 points when given as gifts.
- All Artifacts
- All Bait
- All Crafted Artisan Equipment
- All Crafted Lighting (except Jack-O-Lantern which is disliked)
- All Miscellaneous Crafted Items (except Iron Bar & Gold Bar which are disliked)
- All Furniture (except Tea Set which is disliked)
- All Monster Loot (except Solar Essence and Void Essence which are disliked)
- All Trash (except Driftwood which is disliked)
|Sap||A fluid obtained from trees.||Foraging|
|Carp||A common pond fish.||Fishing|
|Seaweed||It can be used in cooking.||Fishing|
|Green Algae||It's really slimy.||Fishing|
|White Algae||It's super slimy.||Fishing|
|Grass Starter||Place this on your Farm to start a new patch of grass.||Pierre's General Store|
|Hay||Dried grass used as animal food.||Foraging, Marnie's|
|Poppy||In addition to its colorful flower, the Poppy has culinary and medicinal uses.||Farming|
|Copper Ore||A common ore that can be smelted into bars.||Mining|
|Iron Ore||A fairly common ore that can be smelted into bars.||Mining|
|Sea Urchin||A slow-moving, spiny creature that some consider a delicacy.||Foraging|
|Red Mushroom||A spotted mushroom sometimes found in caves.||Foraging|
|Snail||A wide-ranging mollusk that lives in a spiral shell.||Fishing|
|Oil of Garlic||Drink this and weaker monsters will avoid you.||Crafting|
|Strange Bun||What's inside?||Cooking|
|Void Mayonnaise||A thick, black paste that smells like burnt hair.||Mayonnaise Machine|
|Sugar||Adds sweetness to pastries and candies. Too much can be unhealthy.||Mill, Pierre's General Store, and JojaMart|
|Treasure Chest||Wow, it's loaded with treasure! This is sure to fetch a good price.||Fishing|
|Energy Tonic||Restores a lot of energy..||Harvey's Clinic|
|Muscle Remedy||When you've pushed your body too hard, drink this to remove Exhaustion.||Harvey's Clinic|
|Golden Pumpkin||It's valuable but has no other purpose.||Spirit's Eve Festival|
|Slime Eggs of all colors||Can be hatched in a slime incubator.||Slimes, Slime Egg-Press|
|Crab Pot||Used with bait to capture crabs and other sea creatures||Crafting, Fish Shop|
Universal Hates exceptions
- Abigail dislikes Sugar
- Dwarf likes Dwarf Scroll I, Dwarf Scroll II, Dwarf Scroll III, Dwarf Scroll IV, Dwarvish Helm, and Dwarf Gadget
- Krobus loves Void Mayonnaise
- Penny loves Poppy, dislikes Red Mushroom
- Sam likes Joja Cola, dislikes Seaweed
- Wizard dislikes Slime
- In addition to the villagers already listed, Leah, Marnie, and Shane dislike Seaweed
There are 6 Achievements related to Friendship:
- A New Friend (Reach a 5-heart friend level with someone)
- Best Friends (Reach a 10-heart friend level with someone)
- The Beloved Farmer (Reach a 10-heart friend level with 8 people)
- Cliques (Reach a 5-heart friend level with 4 people)
- Networking (Reach a 5-heart friend level with 10 people)
- Popular (Reach a 5-heart friend level with 20 people)