Festival of Ice
The Festival of Ice takes place on the 8th of every Winter. You can attend the festival by entering Cindersap Forest between 9:00AM and 2:00PM. When the festival ends, you will be returned home at 10:00PM.
The festival features ice sculptures, snowmen, and igloos. There's also an Ice Fishing Contest you can take part in along with Pam, Willy, and Elliott. You must catch at least five fish to win the competition. The first time you win, your prize is two tackles (a Barbed Hook and a Dressed Spinner), a Magnet Bait, and a Sailor's Cap. Thereafter, winning nets you 2,000g, which, however, the game does not count as earnings.
The holes in the ice are quite small, so it can be difficult to cast into them. Standing immediately next to the hole and casting a minimal distance is easiest. It is possible to catch fish outside of the frozen lake, but these fish do not count towards the competition.
The festival ends automatically after Mayor Lewis judges the fishing contest.
On the day of the Festival, every home and shop in Stardew Valley is "locked" and cannot be entered.
- Classic Snowman (carrot nose, coal eyes, scarf) -- [She will smile and say that it is best to stick with conventions.]
- A Funky Snowman (Icicle antennae, pine cone eyes) -- [She will smile and say that it sounds like a fun idea.]
- Tell her Snowmen are boring and she should build something 'outside the box!' -- [She will say she would rather stick to something a bit more conventional.]
Willy will also ask if you are ready for some ice fishing. You can give him three answers:
- Yes. I'll do my best! -- [He will smile and say that's the spirit!]
- Yes, and I'm going to beat you! -- [He will simply say we'll see.]
- To be honest, no. I'm bad at fishing. -- [He will smile and say to think of this as good practice.]
- At the end of the fishing competition Lewis will say "Wow, that's a lot of fish". This may be a reference to 1998 Godzilla silly quote.
- If you talk to Abigail at her snowman, she will ask you what you think of her "snow goon." This may be a reference to a 1991 series of "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strips found in the Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons collection, in which Calvin builds several mutant snowmen.
- If you're married to Abigail and talk to her at her snowman, she will say "Hey, honey... look it's you!"
- After initiating the fishing game through Lewis, if the player moves directly to the rightmost, accessible fishing spot and instantly casts a line too far for the fishing hole, then the player will be stuck in a state that looks like a combination of pulling on the rod and standing idly forward. This bug, once encountered, will put the player into a state where no buttons can be pressed, and no fish will bite the "line" that was sent out. Therefore rendering the event mini-game completely unplayable, and, after two minutes, the game will end and normal events will play out as if the player caught no fish.
- It's also possible to trigger this bug after a few casts rather than immediately, but it's not clear what exact circumstances trigger it (other than requiring the cast to be too far to hit the hole).
|Spring||Egg Festival • Flower Dance|
|Summer||Luau • Dance of the Moonlight Jellies|
|Fall||Stardew Valley Fair • Spirit's Eve|
|Winter||Festival of Ice • Night Market • Feast of the Winter Star|