The Night Market is a festival that occurs between the 15th and 17th of Winter. Various boats and merchants will appear at the docks on The Beach, and offer to sell goods or take the player for a boat ride. The Night Market is open between 5pm and 2am, but the Submarine Ride closes at 11pm, and the Mermaid Boat closes at 12:30am.
Unlike other festivals, shops and homes throughout Stardew Valley (including the beach) are not closed on the days of the Night Market, and time continues to pass during the festival. Animals also need to be fed during the Night Market event; the game will not automatically consider them to be fed as with other Festivals.
The Coffee Merchant will give the player a free cup of coffee each night.
The blue boat between the docks sells a variety of purely aesthetic decorations, some of which change with the seasons. Players can purchase an unlimited number of each decoration. Decorations can be placed indoors or outdoors.
|Big Green Cane||200g|
|Big Red Cane||200g|
Famous Painter Lupini
Famous Painter Lupini sells a different painting each day of the Night Market for 1,200g. The paintings rotate over a 3-year schedule, for a total of 9 paintings.
The Submarine houses a Captain who offers to take the player on a deep-sea fishing tour for 1,000g. Upon accepting, the submarine will descend for a while then open a trapdoor to allow the player to fish. The descent and ascent take approximately 30 minutes in-game time. When you are ready to go back up, simply talk to the Captain again. Alternatively you can use a Warp Totem to leave, maximizing fishing time.
Three fish can only be caught here: the Midnight Squid, Spook Fish, and Blobfish. Seaweed, Sea Cucumber, Octopus, and Super Cucumber can also be caught in the submarine ride. There is also a rare chance to catch a Pearl while fishing here.
The table below shows the chance of catching each item while fishing in the submarine.
Magic Shop Boat
The magic shop boat is located to the right of Famous Painter Lupini. It sells decorative items, seeds, a unique hat, and a unique fireplace, with different stock each night. Each item may be purchased in unlimited quantities. Seed sell prices are the same as at Pierre's General Store.
Note that Garlic Seeds, Red Cabbage Seeds, and Artichoke Seeds are not available until game year 2. Note also that the price of the Cone Hat changes over the 3 days of the Night Market, with the lowest price occurring on Day 2. The Grave Stone sold on Day 1 costs 150g less at the Night Market than it does at the Spirit's Eve Festival. The Log Section sold on Day 3 costs 150g less at the Night Market than it does at the Carpenter's Shop.
The Mermaid Boat is open from 5pm to 12:30am. Upon entering, a mermaid will appear and begin singing to the player, accompanied by a cutscene. Her performance lasts 1 hour and 40 mins, but the player may leave at any time.
After the show, clam shells inside the boat can be clicked to play musical notes. Playing the correct notes in the correct sequence will award the player a special item.
The correct sequence of musical notes can be found in Secret Note #15, although finding the secret note is not required to complete the sequence. The tune played during the mermaid show also indicates the solution. Click below to see the solution and information about the special item awarded.
|When played in the order 1-5-4-2-3 (left to right), the player will be awarded with a Pearl. Only one Pearl can be obtained in the Mermaid Boat by each player per each saved game, but the Mermaid Show can be viewed repeatedly by exiting and re-entering the boat at any time. There are also other ways of obtaining Pearls which are unaffected by obtaining this Pearl.|
The Shrouded Figure offers to teleport the player back to their farm for 250g.
Unlike other Festivals, villagers can be seen deviating from their normal schedules to walk to the beach to attend the Night Market. These villagers cannot be found outside the Night Market during the festival. The lists below show which villagers attend on which days each year.
Note that it's possible to complete Gathering, Slaying Monsters, and Fishing Quests during the Night Market. Talking to the villager will complete the quest, before scripted festival dialogue occurs.
|“||“Starting tomorrow, a traveling merchant fleet will dock at Pelican Town for the yearly night market.|
The market starts at 5pm, and will be in port for the next three days.Please visit the beach after 5pm to join the festivities. There's free coffee!”
- Since the game uses a unique beach map during festival days, items a player has placed on the beach (crab pots, chests, etc.) may disappear during the Night Market. These items should return on Winter 18.
- Similarly, Crab Pots and other items placed on the beach during the Night Market will disappear on Winter 18. (They may or may not return the following year.)
- Additionally, items that can usually be foraged above-ground on the Beach will be unavailable due to the event. Tilling sand will still yield the usual clay, snow yams, and winter roots.
- Shimmering lights may appear in the water, and the Copper Pan can be used on them to obtain ores, gems, etc.
- Fishing while the merchant fleet is present can cause obstruction to fishing, but there are a couple spots where you can still fish. However, fishing while the merchant fleet is docked will only yield Trash.
- The 'Red Eagle' painting from Famous Painter Lupini is in the art style of the Native American tribe Hopi.
- Occasionally, a mermaid may be seen swimming up past the window behind the submarine captain.
- 1.3: Introduced.
- 1.4: Coffee merchant now sells only one cup per night. Removed exploit where time was paused during submarine ride ascent/descent by opening the player menu in singleplayer games. Removed time pause during mermaid show when opening menu. Fixed bug preventing Shane from attending Night Market.
- 1.4.1: Can now purchase museum rarecrows from the magic shop boat once earned by donating items.
|Spring||Egg Festival • Flower Dance|
|Summer||Luau • Dance of the Moonlight Jellies|
|Fall||Stardew Valley Fair • Spirit's Eve|
|Winter||Festival of Ice • Night Market • Feast of the Winter Star|