The Player refers to the playable character in Stardew Valley.
The following options are available at the beginning of a new game:
- Appearance - This includes 24 skin tones, 32 hair styles, 20 accessories, and 112 shirts. All of them can be used by either gender, with the option to randomize appearance. This has no effect on gameplay, can be changed later, and can be augmented with hats and boots.
- Name / Farm Name - These are limited to most of the ASCII printable characters, which are spaces, uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and
"is in the valid ASCII printable character range, the textbox does not accept this character.
- Both fields accept copied text (paste text using ).
- The length of the name is determined by the total pixel width, and the allowed maximum is restricted to the width of the textbox.
- Name and Farm Name are sometimes used in dialogues during gameplay.
- Animal Preference - This determines the type of pet that arrives in Spring of year 1.
- Favorite Thing - This affects the text displayed after eating a Stardrop. The character limits are the same as the Name / Farm Name textboxes.
- Gender - This has minor effects on gameplay:
- Characters will use the appropriate pronoun in dialogue.
- Restriction to the men's or women's spa entrance. (Note: Alex sometimes works out in the men's locker room.)
- It is possible to marry an eligible NPC regardless of gender. In a different gender marriage, the woman can become pregnant for 14 days (with no effect on speed or movement) and give birth to a child. In a same-gender marriage, children can be adopted.
When entering "Name", "Farm Name", or "Favorite Thing" on the Character Creation menu, certain keys produce special sounds and/or symbols.
- Pressing the following keys will produce special sounds.
<produces a "ding" sound
$produces a "plink" sound
*produces a "stone hit" sound
=produces a "pop" sound
+produces a "squish" sound
- Pressing the following keys will produce special characters.
$produces a double circle
*produces an asterisk-like character
- Pressing controller buttons also produces special sounds and/or symbols.
- Entering "ConcernedApe" as the Favorite Thing triggers an Easter egg.
- There are no character traits in Stardew Valley. When presented with in-game cutscenes and dialogues, any answer can be chosen without impacting the story, though some may slightly impact friendship. It is possible to befriend most NPCs, and there are no mutually exclusive friendships. (Some NPCs like Gunther have no friendship status.)
- Naming your character using an internal object ID number in brackets will give you the item that corresponds with the number whenever an NPC mentions you by your name. For example, entering  will give you an Iridium Sprinkler, Ancient Seeds, and a Legend. NPCs tend to say only the second two numbers, so be warned. (This exploit also works with children and animals.)
- Note that this does not work in the iOS and Switch version.
- Note that the game may only accept 14 characters for the player name, so one of the items used must be only 2 digits instead of 3.