Health is measured by a bar next to the energy bar in the bottom right corner of the user interface (UI). The health bar is only visible while inside of The Mines, the Secret Woods, the Slime Hutch, the Skull Cavern, the Mutant Bug Lair, the Quarry Mine, the Volcano Dungeon, or when the meter is not full. Outside of the Mines, the most common ways to lose Health are by getting hit by the train on the Railroad, or by the Slimes in the Secret Woods or in the Slime Hutch.
Players may choose the Wilderness Map, or offer a Strange Bun to the Dark Shrine of Night Terrors in the Witch's Hut to enable Monsters on The Farm, who will attack and drain the player's health at night.
Health can be replenished either by consuming food, sleeping, using the Spa, or eating Stardrops. In a multiplayer game, health (and energy) can be replenished by standing in bed without going to sleep for the day.
Maximum health capacity starts at 100 points. Each increase in Combat Level adds 5 points to the player's health meter, with the exceptions of levels 5 and 10. Health points are only increased when levelling up to levels 5 or 10 if the Fighter and Defender professions are chosen. Finding Secret Note #10 and then meeting Mr. Qi at floor 100 of the Skull Cavern will award the player with a cutscene in which Mr. Qi gives the player "Iridium snake milk", which will increase maximum health by 25 points.
The player will pass out when health reaches zero. The only exception is if the the player has a Phoenix Ring and is using the ring's ability for the first time on that day. One of the villagers will awaken the player. Depending on which one it is, the player may wake up in the entry room of The Mines, in the bedroom of the Farmhouse, or in Harvey's Clinic. If the player passes out inside the Skull Cavern, they will be awakened inside Harvey's Clinic.
While passed out, the player will lose gold and may lose inventory items. One lost item can be retrieved through the "Item Recovery Service" at the Adventurer's Guild. The amount of gold lost is determined by the player's currently available gold, up to data-sort-value="5000">5,000g.
- If the player has a Vampire Ring equipped, they will gain 2 health points after slaying a monster.
- If the player has a weapon with the Vampiric enchantment, there is a chance they will gain health points after slaying a monster.
- If the player has a Phoenix Ring equipped, they will not pass out and will regain half of their maximum health after reaching zero health. This can only happen once per day.
- 1.3.27: Added multiplayer health regen by standing in bed. Added Mr. Qi event at floor 100 of the Skull Cavern.
- 1.4: Added Item Recovery Service. Fixed bug where tooltip displayed less health than was actually gained from consuming an item.