The Calico Desert is an exterior map region located far to the northwest of Pelican Town. The weather here is always sunny (even if it is raining everywhere else in Stardew Valley), and the seasons are all the same.
The desert is inaccessible until the Bus at the Bus Stop has been repaired by completing the Vault bundles at the Community Center or by purchasing the Bus Repair for 40,000g from the Joja Community Development Form.
Once repaired, bus tickets can be purchased at the Bus Stop for 500g per round trip, as long as Pam is present (10:00 am - 5:00 pm each day except for the 25th of Spring). Warping is the only way to reach the Desert when Pam is not at work. Pam will patiently wait by the Bus for the rest of the day (to 2:00 am even) to drive you back to Stardew Valley. No in-game time passes during the bus ride to or from the desert.
|Skull Cavern||The entrance to Skull Cavern is located in the northwest corner of the Desert. The Skull Key can be used to open the door inside the cavern.|
|Oasis||The Oasis is a store located in the southwest section of the area. It is run by Sandy and sells a number of seeds not available in Pelican Town, along with an additional item that depends on the day of the week.|
|Desert Trader||The Desert Trader's tent is located in the east of the map.|
|Three Pillars||Three pillars are found in the northeast part of the Desert; this location is tied to one of the game's Secrets.|
|Warp Statue||The player can warp to the desert using a Warp Totem: Desert (consumed on use) or a Desert Obelisk (reusable). Both methods warp the player to the same warp statue, located south of the Desert Trader. The Bus also mysteriously appears in the Desert whenever the player warps, allowing the player to ride back in the bus as usual.|
|Sand Dragon||On top of a hill located directly north of the Oasis, are the large bones of a sand dragon. While standing near the skull of the creature, you may interact with it and a text-screen then reads "Its maw gapes at the desert sun. Even in death, it yearns for a taste." It is related to the Mr. Qi questline.|
Forageable items spawn at an average rate of 2.0 per night year-round. The map shows the possible locations as red and magenta tiles; when the original trees are present, the magenta tiles have a 90% smaller chance of spawning items because they are identified as being behind the original trees.
Other possible items are:
- 1-3 Clay (48%)
- Lost Book (20%); once all Lost Books have been found, any potential Lost Book is replaced by Mixed Seeds.
- 1-3 Stone (16%)
- An unseen Secret Note: up to 4% chance, only if the player has a Magnifying Glass.
Artifact spots spawn at an average rate of 1.0 per night, except in winter when the average rate increases to 1.4 per night.
The primary location for fishing in the Desert is the pond in the northwest section. The player can catch two unique fish here, namely the Sandfish and Scorpion Carp. The Sandfish is needed for the Specialty Fish Bundle in the Fish Tank.
It's also possible to fish in the pool of water on the southern edge of the map, if the player's Fishing skill is high enough for the bobber to reach the water. However, the fishing quality will always be minimal in the southern pond (Fishing Zone is 0 for the entire pond.)
- The bus travelling through a tunnel to get to a desert may be a reference to the Nintendo game "Mother 2 (Earthbound)".
- For each forage item, the provided percentage is the average percentage of all forage items that will be the specified item for that season. The input data is Locations.xnb, which is processed by code in GameLocation::spawnObjects.
- Of the 3000 total tiles in the Desert, 923 (31%) are valid spawn locations for standard forage items. For more information on forage item spawning, see Foraging.
- Of the 3000 total tiles in the Desert, 1229 (41%) are valid spawn locations for artifact spots year-round. Even though the artifact spot locations are the same in winter as the rest of the year, the spawn rate is higher in winter because chanceForNewArtifactAttempt in GameLocation:spawnObjects is higher in winter. See Artifact Spot for more information.
- The water tiles in the south pond are handled more like a fountain: the information is stored in the map's Building layer instead of the Back layer. Fishing is allowed, based on the Building data, but all Fishing Zone calculations consider the tile to be a land tile, therefore the Fishing Zone is set to zero.
|Locations||Backwoods • Beach • Bus Stop • Calico Desert • Cindersap Forest • Farm • Farm Cave • Farm Pond • Graveyard • Minecart • Mines • Mountain • Mutant Bug Lair • Pelican Town • Quarry • Quarry Mine • Railroad • Secret Woods • Sewers • Skull Cavern • Tunnel • Witch's Swamp|