This page or section contains unmarked spoilers from update 1.5 of Stardew Valley. Mobile players may want to avoid or be cautious toward reading this article.
|Increases your chance to catch rare fish.|
The Curiosity Lure is a tackle that increases the chance to catch rare fish. It can be found as a drop from breaking boxes, crates, or barrels in the Quarry Mine, Skull Cavern, or the Volcano Dungeon on Ginger Island, or as a random drop from some monsters in the Skull Cavern.
Only the Iridium Rod can equip tackle. To attach tackle to an Iridium Rod, left-click on the tackle, then right-click on the Iridium Rod. To remove tackle, first right-click to remove any bait, then right-click to remove the tackle.
While fishing in any location with this lure equipped, all fish bite chances are increased. Since all chances are increased with equal proportion to their existing bite chance, this ultimately results in trash showing up slightly less often. Note that this only refers to the calculation for determining which fish bites: this lure does not affect the time it takes before a fish will bite.
Fish Affected by Location
Certain fish are given a separate bite chance increase when using this lure. This replaces the global effect mentioned previously. Assuming other special requirements are met (such as it being the correct season, meeting the fishing level requirement, or standing in the specific places required to catch Legendary Fish or Night Market fish), the curiosity lure will slightly improve the chance that the following fish will bite in these specific areas.
Notably, the Midnight Squid chance is not increased when fishing on the submarine, though it is increased when fishing on the beach (while meeting the other special requirements needed to fish for it there).
Rare Fish Not Affected
- The Glacierfish and Glacierfish Jr. are not affected by the curiosity lure, despite being listed among the Legendary Fish and Legendary Fish II respectively.
- The Octopus is not affected by the curiosity lure, even though it's the fish with the highest difficulty among all non-Legendary fish and normally has a very low bite rate.
- The Scorpion Carp is not affected by the curiosity lure, even though it has a very low spawn rate naturally when fishing at The Desert.
The Curiosity Lure is not used in any bundles.
The Curiosity Lure is not used in any quests.
- See GameLocation::getFish in the game code. This reduction in trash rate is due to a global increase in each fish's bite chance (with trash being the default case when no fish bite).
- See Beach::getFish in the game code.
- See MineShaft::getFish in the game code.
- See Mountain::getFish in the game code.
- See Sewer::getFish in the game code.
- See Submarine::getFish in the game code.
- See Town::getFish in the game code.
- See Forest::getFish in the game code.
- See Desert::getFish in the game code.
- 1.5: Introduced.