|A combustible rock that is useful for crafting and smelting.|
|Source||Mines • Blacksmith • Charcoal Kiln • Recycling Machine • Geodes • Fishing Treasure Chest • Artifact Spot • Panning • Traveling Cart • Trains|
Coal is a basic resource. It can be obtained in many different ways, primarily from rocks or Dust Sprites in The Mines, purchased from Clint at the Blacksmith shop, or using a Charcoal Kiln. It may also be produced by recycling trash or found in Fishing Treasure Chests. A random amount of coal may be found in addition to metal ores by Panning.
Coal is used in some crafting recipes and is necessary for smelting in a furnace.
- Coal can sometimes be found by mining rocks — both in the mines and anywhere on the map. Both daily Luck and the Prospector Profession increase the chances of finding coal.
- Coal can be found in mine carts in certain Floors of the mines - follow the mine railways then simply click on the coal-filled cart (Note: this works only once per cart).
- Coal can be found in brown miner's bags lying in certain Floors of the mines. Every bag contains around 6 pieces. (Again, this works only once per bag.)
- A Charcoal Kiln can be used to convert 10 wood into 1 coal
- You can farm coal by killing Dust Sprites between Floors 41-79 of the Mines (50% chance of dropping coal). You can use the elevator to quickly and repeatedly travel between floors ending in 0 or 5. (This is an easy way to farm Iron Ore as well.)
- When farming Dust Sprites for Coal, it is best to wear a Burglar's Ring (earned by killing Dust Sprites).
- Red, Purple, and Black Slimes may drop coal (10% chance). They can be raised in Slime Hutches
- Stone Golems, Wilderness Golems, Metal Heads, Shadow Brutes, and Shadow Shamans may drop coal (10% chance).
- Can be found by digging up an Artifact Spot (at Backwoods, the Mountains, or the Farm)
- Coal may occasionally be found by Panning
- Coal may occasionally be sold by the Traveling Cart for 100–1,000g.
- Coal can be found inside all 4 types of geodes.
- If a Fruit tree is struck by lightning, it will produce coal instead of fruit for a few days before returning to normal.
- Trains may randomly drop coal.
Coal purchased at the Blacksmith costs data-sort-value="150">150g during year 1, so it is cheaper in year 1 to buy 10 wood for data-sort-value="100">100g from Robin at the Carpenter's Shop and convert that wood into coal in the Charcoal Kiln. After year 1, wood pricing increases to data-sort-value="50">50g per piece but coal increases to only data-sort-value="250">250g, so it is cheaper to purchase coal directly.
|Bee House||Place outside and wait for delicious honey! (Except in Winter).||Coal (8) Wood (40) Iron Bar (1) Maple Syrup (1)||Farming Level 3|
|Preserves Jar||Turns vegetables into pickles and fruit into jam.||Coal (8) Wood (50) Stone (40)||Farming Level 4|
|Warrior Ring||Occasionally infuses the wearer with "warrior energy" after slaying a monster.||Coal (25) Iron Bar (10) Frozen Tear (10)||Combat Level 4|
|Cherry Bomb||Generates a small explosion. Stand back!||Coal (1) Copper Ore (4)||Mining Level 1|
|Bomb||Generates an explosion. Watch out!||Coal (1) Iron Ore (4)||Mining Level 6|
|Explosive Ammo||Fire this with the slingshot.||Coal (2) Iron Bar (1)||Combat Level 8|
|Wicked Statue||There's something unsettling about the looks of this statue.||Coal (5) Stone (25)||Krobus (data-sort-value="1000">1,000g)|
|Wooden Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Coal (1) Wood (10) Fiber (5)||Carpenter's Shop (data-sort-value="250">250g)|
|Stone Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Coal (1) Stone (10) Fiber (5)||Carpenter's Shop (data-sort-value="400">400g)|
|Barrel Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Coal (1) Wood (50) Solar Essence (1)||Carpenter's Shop (data-sort-value="800">800g)|
|Stump Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Coal (1) Hardwood (5)||Carpenter's Shop (data-sort-value="800">800g)|
|Gold Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Coal (1) Gold Bar (10) Fiber (5)||Carpenter's Shop (data-sort-value="1000">1,000g)|
|Carved Brazier||Provides a moderate amount of light.||Coal (1) Hardwood (10)||Carpenter's Shop (data-sort-value="2000">2,000g)|
|Scarecrow||Prevents crows from attacking your crops. Has a limited radius (about 8 "tiles").||Coal (1) Wood (50) Fiber (20)||Farming Level 1|
|Seed Maker||Place crops inside to produce a varying amount of seeds. Doesn't work with fruit tree crops.||Coal (10) Wood (25) Gold Bar (1)||Farming Level 9|
|Slime Egg-Press||Compresses 100 pieces of slime into a slime egg. It's a miracle of science!||Coal (25) Fire Quartz (1) Battery Pack (1)||Combat Level 6|
|Cookout Kit||Use this to create a cooking campfire, allowing you to cook on-the-go!||Coal (3) Wood (15) Fiber (10)||Foraging Level 9|
|Dislike||Abigail • Alex • Caroline • Demetrius • Dwarf • Elliott • Emily • Evelyn • George • Gus • Haley • Harvey • Jas • Jodi • Kent • Krobus • Leah • Leo • Lewis • Linus • Marnie • Maru • Pam • Penny • Pierre • Robin • Sandy • Sebastian • Shane • Vincent • Willy • Wizard|
Coal is not used in any bundles.
Coal is used in the spool of the Sewing Machine with Cloth in the feed to create a Shirt. It is a black dye when used in the spool of the Sewing Machine with a dyeable clothing item in the feed.
Ten Coal may be requested by Ice Pip or Stonefish in a Fish Pond quest to increase the capacity of the pond from 5 to 7.
- 1.3.27: Increased price from 150g in year 1 to 250g in year 2+.
- 1.4: Can now be used in Tailoring and to create a Wilted Bouquet. Can be requested in Fish Pond quests.
- 1.5: Used to operate the Geode Crusher. Used as an ingredient to the Cookout Kit recipe. No longer used as an ingredient to the Skull Brazier recipe.
|Basic||Battery Pack • Bone Fragment • Cinder Shard • Clay • Coal • Fiber • Hardwood • Stone • Wood|
|Ore||Copper Ore • Iron Ore • Gold Ore • Iridium Ore • Radioactive Ore|
|Bars||Copper Bar • Iron Bar • Gold Bar • Iridium Bar • Radioactive Bar • Refined Quartz|