Coal is a basic resource. It can be obtained in many different ways, primarily from rocks or Dust Sprites in The Mines, purchased from Clint at the Blacksmith shop, or using a Charcoal Kiln. It may also be produced by recycling trash or found in Fishing Treasure Chests. A random amount of coal may be found in addition to metal ores by Panning.
Coal is used in some crafting recipes and is necessary for smelting in a furnace.
- Coal can sometimes be found by mining rocks — both in the mines and anywhere on the map. Both daily Luck and the Prospector Profession increase the chances of finding coal.
- Coal can be found in mine carts in certain Floors of the mines - follow the mine railways then simply click on the coal-filled cart (Note: this works only once per cart).
- Coal can be found in brown miner's bags lying in certain Floors of the mines. Every bag contains around 8 pieces. (Again, this works only once per bag.)
- A Charcoal Kiln can be used to convert 10 wood into 1 coal
- You can farm coal by killing Dust Sprites between Floors 41-79 of the Mines (50% chance of dropping coal). You can use the elevator to quickly and repeatedly travel between floors ending in 0 or 5. (This is an easy way to farm Iron Ore as well.)
- Red, Purple, and Black Slimes may drop coal (10% chance). They can be raised in Slime Hutches
- Stone Golems, Wilderness Golems, Metal Heads, Shadow Brutes, and Shadow Shamans may drop coal (10% chance).
- Can be found by digging up an Artifact Spot (at Backwoods, the Mountains, or the Farm)
- Coal may occasionally be found by Panning
- Coal may occasionally be sold by the Traveling Cart for 100-1,000g.
- Coal can be found inside all 4 types of geodes.
- If a Fruit tree is struck by lightning, it will produce coal instead of fruit for a few days before returning to normal.
Coal purchased at the Blacksmith costs 150g during year 1, so it is cheaper in year 1 to buy 10 wood for 100g from Robin at the Carpenter's Shop and convert that wood into coal in the Charcoal Kiln. After year 1, wood pricing increases to 50g per piece but coal increases to only 250g, so it is cheaper to purchase coal directly.
Coal is not used in any bundles.
Coal is used in the spool of the Sewing Machine with Cloth in the feed to create a Shirt. It is a black dye when used in the spool of the Sewing Machine with a dyeable clothing item in the feed.
Ten Coal may be requested by Ice Pip or Stonefish in a Fish Pond quest to increase the capacity of the pond from 5 to 7.
- 1.3: Increased price from 150g in year 1 to 250g in year 2+.
- 1.4: Can now be used in Tailoring and to create a Wilted Bouquet. Can be requested in Fish Pond quests.
- 1.5: Used to operate the Geode Crusher. Used as an ingredient to the Cookout Kit recipe. No longer used as an ingredient to the Skull Brazier recipe.